All managed investment schemes under the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 (FMC Act) must be registered online, using the Disclose Register. This can be done by either the manager or a third party acting on its behalf.
Who can register a scheme
To register a managed investment scheme you must:
- have a RealMe® login
- be a registered user of your organisation's online services account
- have authority to act.
Before you begin your application
Make sure you have all the information and documents you'll need to complete your online application.
Check your scheme name
The scheme name can't include any words that contravene other legislation, and the name can't be the same as any other scheme registered under the FMC Act. A registered scheme also can't have a misleading or offensive name.
The Disclose Register will display an error message if there's a problem with the proposed name.
Check your scheme name in the Disclose Register well ahead of registration to ensure the name can be used.
To check your scheme name, log in to your organisation's online services account and follow these steps.
- Select the 'Register' tab.
- From the drop-down menu select 'Managed fund investment scheme', or 'Other managed investment scheme'.
- Enter a scheme name and select the [Tab] key.
If there's a problem with the name, a message appears onscreen explaining what the problem is.
All scheme participants must first exist on another register or directory.
Legislative reference guides
The reference guides contain legislation relating to sections of your online application for registration.
Register a managed investment scheme
To register a scheme, log in to your organisation's online services account and follow these steps.
- Select the 'Register' tab.
- Complete the online form.
- Upload your documents for the scheme.
- On the 'Review' screen check your application is complete and correct.
- Select 'Submit'.
- Pay the registration fee, if applicable.
- Select the 'Continue' button on the payment screen to send your application to us for acceptance.
You'll receive confirmation onscreen that your application has been sent to us for acceptance.
You may need to provide fund updates for managed investment schemes (or scheme sections) that are closed to new members. To do this, you'll have to register a skeleton offer, but won't have to provide a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) or its associated register data entry.
You can register your offer when you provide your first fund update.
Asia Region Funds Passport
If you want to become an approved Passport Fund under the Asia Region Funds Passport regulations you must first seek approval from the Financial Markets Authority.
Once you have been approved by the FMA you will need to update your scheme registration with specific information, and upload the required documents. You will then need to upload a notice of intention to make an offer, to the offer(s) that are covered by the Passport Fund.
More 'Managed investment scheme registration process' guides:
- Check participants exist on a register or directory, or add them to the Other Participants directory.
- What happens after you submit your application to register a scheme.